Sunday 17 July 2011

A message from Fr Richard Duffield concerning Br Lewis Berry

Takem from newsletter of the Birmingham Oratory - 17.7.2011

From Fr Richard: - A few weeks ago, Br Lewis requested a formal transfer
to the Oratory of Port Elizabeth in South Africa where he has been
living since last September. Both communities have now agreed to this.
He has asked us to print the message below in the Parish Bulletin:

“I’m pleased to have the opportunity to write a few words to you, the
parishioners of the Oratory in Birmingham, to explain that I have
requested to transfer to the Oratory of Port Elizabeth, in South Africa,
where I have been living now for nearly ten months. I am very
happy here, and I feel so much drawn to the particular work and
life of this community that I want to remain here permanently. I
thank the Birmingham Oratory community for the support they
have given me in this decision. I am also grateful to the Apostolic
Visitor, Father Felix Selden, both for the kindness that he has shown
me and for the generosity of his decisions in my regard. I am deeply
mindful of the many blessings I received whilst at Birmingham. I am
now looking forward to a new future, and I ask you to support me in
this with your prayers. If anyone wants to write to me I would be
happy to hear from you!”

I would like to add that although the community here in
Birmingham is sorry to lose Br Lewis we are pleased that he has
found renewed enthusiasm for the Oratorian vocation as it is lived
in a house with which we have a long-standing friendship and
which some of us know well. We thank Br Lewis for his
contributions to the life of this house, especially his work for the
Cause of Blessed John Henry Newman; and we thank also the
Fathers of the Port Elizabeth Oratory for their continued generosity
and for the renewed inspiration they have given to Br Lewis.
His address is: Oratory of St Philip Neri 8th Avenue PO Box 5012
Walmer 6065 Republic of South Africa